The McDuffie Mirror
  

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads


 E-mail this story      Printer-friendly version

Waffle House, weather and Mr. Isom

It doesn't take much to make me happy.

Just last week, it was a blip of news about Waffle House.

The Norcross-based chain of greasy spoons finally did away with the cash-only rule it carried for years. Starting earlier this month, Waffle Houses across the state started taking debit and credit cards for waffles, chili and burgers.

Why does that make me happy?

Well, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I can put away a little food. And, it's rare that I carry cash. (After all, I'm married. What do I need with cash?) So, in the past, when I have ventured into the local Waffle Houses, I had to let my wallet be the guide for my stomach. (Unless Pete was paying. Then it's pecan waffles for everyone.)

Miriam and I haven't had a chance to put the new policy to the test, but rest assured, it is coming. After all, a man can only go so long without a patty melt. And I hear one calling me now.

I've already discovered my next career path. I'm going to work for the Weather Channel so I, too, can forecast weather via dart boards.

It's not that I mind them being totally wrong on a regular basis, but last weekend was the final straw. The forecast called for rain all weekend. Even late Friday night, it was 60 percent chance of rain Saturday and 40 percent chance Sunday.

Perfect, I thought. Perfect, that is, for sitting in the house and avoiding raking the backyard and a laundry list of other projects my wife had set for me.

So, after stopping in at the Thomson High School band festival that morning, I figured by the time I got home, the rain would have set in.

Not so much.

In fact, not only did it not rain enough to stop my raking, it didn't rain enough to disrupt any outdoor project - from cleaning off the roof to planting a dozen or so flowers in the Georgia clay that lurks just below the grass in my yard.

Now I just wonder if I can bill the Weather Channel for my new extra-large bottle of ibuprofen.

I was thrilled to hear that McDuffie County was honoring James Isom and his contribution to the community. Growing up, Mr. Isom's oldest son, Demetrius, and I were in many of the same classes, and I always carried a respect for both Demetrius and his father.

After high school, I admired Mr. Isom's commitment to his family. And when we started The Mirror, I was amazed to see the various activities he participated in all around town.

He's certainly a role model on various levels - from his loyalty to the school system, to the strength of his faith, to the love of his family.

God bless James Isom. Espeically after the way he's (and He's) blessed our community through the years.



Web posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006













© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .