The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

I once was blind...

It's confession time.

A few weeks ago, I lost my glasses - my bifocals - to be more precise. I tried to remember where I lost them, but couldn't for the life of me. Apparently, I laid them down somewhere, likely at a ballpark.

Instead of doing the sensible thing, like going to see Dr. Mike McQuaig, I thought I'd tough it out and wait until my next regular appointment time. By no means was that the sensible approach.

Nevertheless, that's what I did.

And as a result, I suffered the consequences. For one thing, I've had serious problems seeing. Not very smart for a person who considers himself a writer and one who has to read a lot - seeing as how it's part of my everyday job and one that pays me a salary.

On Mondays and Tuesdays, the staff of the newspaper work extra hard in an attempt to put together another edition of the newspaper. As a writer, I'm involved in completing stories and getting them turned in to my editor and publisher as quickly as possible.

Without my glasses, though, it's been much more difficult. Having to squint has made my eyes tired quicker and made me slower.

It was merely lack of sense on my part to think I could tough it out until my next regular appointment. At any rate, I have no one to blame but myself.

When last Tuesday rolled around, I saw Dr. McQuaig and told him of my situation. He's a nice guy though and never made any comment. He just smiled.

He later informed me that my eyes had worsened since my last visit - a sure sign of what I've been telling my family and friends for a while now that I'm an old man. I wasn't kidding and now I have a little proof.

The doctor ordered me a new pair of glasses. And LuAnne Durant, who works for Dr. McQuaig, told me that she would place a rush order on them.

This past weekend, I thought that I might receive a telephone call from her on Monday, letting me know that the new glasses had arrived. Sure enough, she called me about 11 a.m.

A few minutes later, I arrived and she sized them, cleaned them and presented them to me.

I am so pleased to be able to see again. I thank God for such ability and for those who make a way for us to see through corrective lenses.

When I walked outside the doctor's office, I could see so much better than I could when I walked inside without my glasses. I returned to the newspaper office that afternoon and proclaimed to everyone there that I can now see again!

Web posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .