A 28-year-old Thomson man was indicted on murder and other assorted charges By a McDuffie County grand jury on Monday stemming from the Thanksgiving Eve shooting death of Todd Brooks.
Michael Samuel Johnson, of 2119-A Wrens Highway, was indicted on four different criminal counts - all of which are felonies, according to court records viewed Tuesday in the McDuffie County Superior Court Clerk's Office. Mr. Johnson was indicted on the following charges: murder, felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of certain crimes, records show.
The shooting of Mr. Brooks occurred on Nov. 22, 2006, at the mobile home of Mr. Johnson.
Mr. Johnson, who still is awaiting bail of $500,000 in the McDuffie County Law Enforcement Center, "did unlawfully and with malice aforethought" cause the death of Mr. Brooks By shooting him multiple times with a handgun, the indictment charges.
The indictment further charges that Mr. Johnson "did unlawfully possess and have on his person and within arm's reach, a firearm."
The only witnesses listed as having possibly spoken with grand jurors on Monday was McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall and Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent David Leonard. Grand jury proceedings are not open to the public.
The type of weapon used in the shooting was not specifically described.
Mr. Brooks, who worked for himself, also served as a volunteer coach at Briarwood Academy.
In other cases, several other persons also were indicted on various charges. They included:
- Rodney Joseph Brunner, of 635 Dogwood Drive, Thomson, two counts of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, removal of a weapon from a public official and interference with government property.
- Michael Raymond Cushman Jr., of 409 Langham Street, Thomson, Violation of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act (VGCSA) for possession of Methamphetamine with intent to distribute and possession of Methamphetamine.
- Herman Lamont Germany, address unavailable, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sodomy and child molestation.
- Kevin Richard Jones and Crystal Brook Swint, both of 1671 Cadley Road, Norwood, jointly indicted on burglary and theft By taking charges. Mr. Jones also was indicted on a charge of fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer.
- Jacob Tanner Powell, of 5384 Lincolnton Road, Thomson, burglary, VGCSA for possession of Hydrocodone with intent to distribute and felony flight.
- Alex Reid, of 6654 Cobbham Road, Appling, VGCSA for possession of cocaine.
- Philamenia Willimonia Scott, of 1806 Cooney Circle, Augusta, procuring drugs for inmates and criminal attempt to deliver marijuana to inmates.
- Jason David Scurry, of 396 Wire Road, Thomson, aggravated assault, battery, cruelty to children in the third degree and obstructing an emergency telephone call.
Meanwhile, grand jurors chose not to indict two defendants:
- Malcolm Terrell McGahee, who had been charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute and possession of cocaine.
- Ricky Dean Kitchens, who had been charged with aggravated assault and criminal trespass.