McDuffie County stayed relatively safe over the Independence Day holiday this past week. According to public safety officials, there were no major holiday related incidents.
A Georgia State Patrol spokesperson said there were only minor accidents in the county for holiday travelers. Thomson and McDuffie County fire officials added that despite dry conditions there were no major blazes attributed to fireworks.
"We were very fortunate, I believe. As far as I know we didn't have any incidents related to (fireworks)," said Thomson Fire Chief Rick Sewell. "We have not had a problem in the past. Last year we were expecting some increased activity because of it being the first year (of sparklers being legalized), but as far as I can remember we really didn't have any problems last year."
There was one trash fire on Old Washington Road around midnight on July 4 that, according to McDuffie County Assistant Fire Chief Stephen Sewell, could have been caused by fireworks. No one was injured, and the fire was contained quickly.
"They found several pieces of burnt fireworks and some stuff in the trash. It looked like kids had been playing," Assistant Chief Sewell said. "It was just a small fire."
A major house fire on Lincolnton Highway was not attributed to holiday activity. The home was destroyed as a result of that blaze.