The McDuffie Mirror

Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

 E-mail this story      Printer-friendly version

Police make arrests in holiday beating

Two people have been arrested and others are being sought following a Fourth of July beating of a Thomson man.

Tommy Mance, 60, and Christopher Lampkin, 31, were arrested and charged with the aggravated assault of 36-year-old Troy Hart. Mr. Hart knew his attackers, according to Thomson Police Department Investigator Scott Whittle.

At close to 9 p.m. July 4, the investigator said officers from the McDuffie County Sheriff's Department and Thomson Police Department were called to Kent's restaurant on East Hill Street for a gunshot wound.

While they found no gunshot wound to Mr. Hart, they found him conscious and bleeding from injuries. An ambulance responded and an AirMed helicopter was called to the McDuffie Regional Medical Center to transport Mr. Hart to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital in Augusta.

Investigator Whittle called on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for assistance.

"When I saw the extent of his injuries, I was afraid he might not make it and I wanted to call in the GBI to help," he said.

GBI Agent Tony Williamson photographed the direct scene along with places in front of the adjacent car wash, which indicated Mr. Hart paused several times while he fled his attackers who were also on foot, according to Investigator Whittle.

Several bags of evidence including a bloodstained bat and various clothing items drenched in blood were taken from the scene.

Investigator Whittle said the victim was on Fourth Street when an argument began in the roadway with Mr. Mance and Mr. Lampkin over an incident involving a female relative of the two men who was an acquaintance of Mr. Hart's.

When he tried to run, several men chased Mr. Hart to Pitts Street, beating him along the way, according to Whittle. The victim was able to free himself and fled to the East Hill Street car wash and subsequently collapsed in the Kent's parking lot, but not before disarming his assailants of the bat.

The investigator said a charge of simple battery was placed against Mr. Hart for an incident regarding the female acquaintance that occurred July 3.

The investigator said Hart was released from the hospital July 6. At press time, Mr. Mance was still in custody and Mr. Lampkin had been released on bond.

Web posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004

What do you think?  Send us your comments

Temperature:53° F
Wind:from the W at 5 MPH
Visibility:10 miles
Dew Point:53° F
Updated: 04-Nov-2010 10:01

21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Online Poll
Do you support the school system's graduation policy?
View results

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .