The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

 E-mail this story      Printer-friendly version

Thomson drops game to Washington-Wilkes

Thomson Mayor Bob Knox proclaimed Friday Sgt. James Kinlow day in honor of the local soldier who lost his life in Iraq in July. But that was the highlight for the Bulldogs in the home opener against Washington-Wilkes.


Thomson's defense stops a Washington Wilkes runner.

The Bulldogs had trouble producing yardage all night on offense and fell 10-0 to their old rival for the first time since 2000.

"I was kind of disappointed and hurt, and it just wasn't good," said Thomson Head Coach Luther Welsh. "We had been having trouble moving the ball all year offensively. It's just not this particular ballgame."

On the flip side, Washington-Wilkes head Coach Russell Morgan was ecstatic, saying, "It can't feel no better," after the game.

While the Bulldogs' offense was stagnant, the Tigers switched things up a little from their regular running game. Tigers' Quarterback Clete Wilson went 7-8 passing for 106 yards, and Thomson's pass defense couldn't find an answer for the Washington-Wilkes offensive attack.


Quarterback Anthony Erwin is grabbed by a Washington-Wilkes defender.

Wilson connected with Calvin Wynn for a 25-yard gain on first down during the Tigers' initial drive of the second quarter. Six plays later, Wilson found Demont Gresham for the game's first score, a 25-yard touchdown pass with 5:52 remaining before halftime.

"We didn't play particularly well in the first half, but we showed a little courage," said Thomson Defensive Coordinator John Barnett. "We were without three starters in the second half, and that's no excuse because Coach Morgan had his team well prepared."

Thomson was handed a chance to even the score before the break. After a fourth and four punt, Washington-Wilkes was flagged for roughing the kicker. Thomson wingback Tim McCord lost the handle two plays later, and the fumble gave possession to the Tigers in Bulldog territory with 2:53 before halftime.

Washington-Wilkes drove to the 14 yard line and a 36-yard Mark Tench field goal attempt was wide left with only seconds left, leaving the score 7-0 at the break. Another 36-yard attempt from Tench went between the uprights with 4:00 remaining in the third quarter.


Running back Tim McCord cuts up the middle for a short gain.

Though Thomson found some rushing firepower in the second half, the Tigers' defense ultimately kept them out of the end zone throughout the game. Thomson didn't connect on a single pass of five thrown, and only mustered 107 yards on 37 carries.

"The possibility is there, and it's just not happening," Coach Welsh said of his offense. "I think they have the talent to do it. The only thing I know to do is keep on working at it.

"...A loss might have done us some good. If you lose, and you've been telling them they've got to get better and work at it, and they didn't do it, maybe it might sink in now."

Next up for the Bulldogs is Liberty County (0-2), a team that fell to Thomson last year 13-12 and ended up with a 2-8 record. But with the offensive woes and the tight game from last year, Coach Welsh is concerned.

"They lost, but they lose some close games," he said. "It will be another one for us unless we pick it up somewhere during the week."

Web posted on Thursday, September 1, 2005


Temperature:53° F
Wind:from the W at 5 MPH
Visibility:10 miles
Dew Point:53° F
Updated: 04-Nov-2010 10:01

21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Online Poll
Do you support the school system's graduation policy?
View results

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .