The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Nunn returns to work after near-fatal wreck with bull

Shiloh Hamilton Nunn came about as close to death as a person can get; yet he survived.

Today, he counts his blessings after a near fatal car collision with a 1,700-lb. bull near the intersection of Wrightsboro and Stagecoach roads near Thomson on April 8.

"I'm thankful to God that I'm alive," said the 23-year-old Mr. Nunn, during a surprise luncheon held in his honor at Thomson City Hall last Friday. "I'm so very glad to be back at work."

Mr. Nunn, who has worked for the City of Thomson a little more than a year and lives in Thomson, has amazed doctors, nurses, co-workers and friends with his recovery.

"It's a miracle," says Chuck Cason, superintendent of the City of Thomson Natural Gas Department and Mr. Nunn's immediate boss. "He really came close to dying. Shiloh was in a coma for 3 1/2 months. Nobody knew if he was going to make it or not, but God did."

Just one day after learning of Mr. Nunn's sports car mishap, Mr. Cason was praying and comforting Mr. Nunn's parents and other relatives in the Trauma Unit of the Medical College of Georgia Hospital in Augusta.

"I had prayer with his family and over Shiloh in the trauma unit," recalled Mr. Cason. "The Lord revealed to me right then and there that Shiloh was going to be alright. I told them that we've just got to have faith and that the Lord was going to see Shiloh through the ordeal."

Mr. Cason, a member of Sweetwater Baptist Church, said he was certain that God would see Mr. Nunn through his crisis, because of his strong faith.

"I put it in God's hands to watch over and to heal Shiloh," added Mr. Cason.

"God had a perfect plan in sparing Shiloh's life," said Rodney Dunaway, one of Mr. Nunn's co-workers who is also a member of Sweetwater Baptist Church. "There is no doubt that God performed a miracle in his life. It shows us all that God still answers prayers and that He wanted us to see that with Shiloh."

Mr. Nunn recalled that he had left Epp Wilson's farm just before the mishap during Masters Week. He worked for Mr. Wilson doing odds and ends jobs. He didn't leave until about 9 p.m.

He struck a large black bull that crossed in front of him while he was traveling east along Wrightsboro Road in his Mazda Miata, Mr. Nunn veered off the roadway and struck several trees. Since his injuries were life-threatening, he was flown by helicopter from the scene to MCG where he was taken immediately to the trauma unit. His condition was critical.

Mr. Nunn stayed in a coma for 3 1/2 months. He went from weighing 180 lbs. down to 125 lbs. During his lengthy hospital stay, he also underwent multiple surgeries. His skull was fractured in three places and he suffered from other serious injuries, too. Those injuries involved his nasal cavity and eye sockets.

Today, Mr. Nunn has to wear glasses and has no smell or taste.

"Being unable to smell or taste anything has been hard to get used to," said Mr. Nunn, noting that he also has difficulty eating, because he can't open his mouth as wide. "I'm still very thankful to be alive, though."

Right now, Mr. Nunn, who attends Ebenezer Baptist Church in Wilkes County, is getting re-familiarized with his meter reading route.

"He is being rehabilitated back to work form, you might say," said Mr. Cason.

As far as remembering what his job is all about, Mr. Dunaway said his co-worker has had no problems.

"He's just like he left April 8 and came back last Thursday," said Mr. Dunaway.

The only difference is that he hasn't yet been cleared by doctors to drive again. For the last several days, Mr. Nunn has either walked to work or gotten a ride from Mr. Cason.

"We're going to take care of Shiloh, because he's a good employee and very dedicated to his job," said Mr. Cason. "We're all just glad to have him back at work and to see that he's doing so well."

Web posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .