What will it require for citizens of the United States to remain free and to defeat Islamic terrorism?
Many citizens will not agree with me and will take offense at the following brief points. Those who disagree have two choices: 1. get over it or 2. work to get your political point of view translated into political action by having a veto proof Congress and a president that will sign the legislation required to do the following things (remember that this country is a republic not a democracy):
- War needs to be declared by Congress and signed into law by the President. Legislation will state that the United States is in a state of war against Islamic terrorists and countries that support, train, or give refuge to terrorists.
- Allow the armed forces of the United States to plan, fight, and carry out the declaration of war without oversight from individual political parties or personalities elected or non-elected. News media outlets will need to monitor their activities to be sure that they are not giving aid and support to our combatants. This activity is seditious and participants must be viewed as traitors.
- Stop U.S. government funding of the ACLU and prosecute the organization if it gives aid and support to our enemies.
- Do away with the Department of Homeland Security and return to the pre-9/11 law enforcement rules and regulations. This current department should not be a cabinet level position. It is too big to be effective, has an impossible mission to be effective, and is too expensive to support.
- The United States should resign from the United Nations and pay to have it moved wherever it can find a home. It should no longer be welcome to be headquartered in this country.
- Congress needs to approve the enactment of the "Fair Tax" and the President needs to sign it into law. This will make our country more competitive in the world markets. We may believe, or even wish, for a policy of isolation, but we are, and should remain, a chief player in the economic world.
- Overhaul our legal system to require timely trials. Do away with frivolous law suits by requiring that the loser pay. Taxpayers should not have to finance entities like the ACLU. Let them finance their own suits and requests for information. The Freedom of Information Act is a grossly overused strategy by their attorneys.
- Eliminate the Federal Department of Education and eliminate the "No Child Left Behind" policy. Local governments should be in control of their school systems.
- Return the Senate of the United States to its pre 1916 status. This will allow the States to be represented as the Constitution originally envisioned. Each state legislature would elect their federal senators, and these senators would be responsible to them.
- Stop Federal spending by doing away with online budgeting that builds in 10 percent annual increases automatically. Reverse this and cut 10 percent each fiscal year for a few years. Take the Citizens Against Government Waste latest list and eliminate the first ten on the list of past pork barrel projects that Congress approved.
I am sure that there are more items that could be included on this list of actions, but this should be a great start.
David Dillinger, Thomson