WARRENTON, Ga. - The Lady Screaming Devils of Warren County High School have done it again this year. They captured their third consecutive Region 4-A track championship at Lucy Laney High Stadium in Augusta on Monday, April 27.
"The Lady Devils topped off a very productive season the way it was meant to be, by first winning the region championship," WCHS Girls' Head Coach Marleau Blount said. "I am very confident going into the state competition at Hugh Mill Stadium in Albany."
At the region track meet, Warren County got off to a terrific start, qualifying in six of the seven preliminary events, according to Coach Blount. As a result, it placed the Lady Screaming Devils in excellent position for the finals that were conducted later that day.
Warren County began competing in the field events by noon. The following members of the track team did well in such competition. They included:
- Tynesha Harris, second place in the discus;
- Cedrica Bacon, second place in the shot put; Harris finished fourth in that event;
- Candace Warthen, first place in the long jump; Lakerria Williams, finished second in that event;
- Lakerria Williams, first place in the triple jump; and Tykesia Johnson, fifth place in that event; and
- Warthen, first place in the high jump.
Having taken a commanding early lead, Warren County used its momentum to continue their quest at winning another region crown. They did so in dominating style. As a team, the Lady Screaming Devils scored points in nine of the 10 final running events.
Several members of the team did well. They included:
- Tykesia Johnson, Lakerria Williams, Tiandra Harris and Candace Warthen finished first in the 4 X 100 relay;
- Jashanna Graves, second place in the 1600 meter run;
- Tykesia Johnson, fourth place in the 400 meter run;
- Candace Warthen, first place in the 100 meter run;
- Sondrea Hardin, fourth place in the 200 meter run;
- Jashanna Graves, third place in the 800 meter run;
- Tiandra Harris, second place in the 110 meter hurdles;
- Kelisha Williams, third place in the 110 meter hurdles;
- Tynesha Harris, fourth place in the 300 meter hurdles and
- Sondrea Hardin, Tianca Evans, Warthen and Williams, third place in the 1600 meter relay.
Coach Blount expressed pleasure with the consistency of his veteran team members, as well as with some of the younger team members.
The Warren County Lady Screaming Devils will be competing in the state track meet in Albany from May 13-15.