Welcome to TMS! The faculty and staff join me in extending you this warm greeting. All of us look forward to working with you and we hope that this will be your best school year to date.
You will be given a Student Agenda/Handbook on the first day of school. This handbook has been designed to help you better understand Thomson Middle School and to assist you in meeting your responsibilities as a student. It contains an explanation of policies and procedures used at our school and a listing of many of our rules. Please pay special attention to the strike guidelines. Additionally, this agenda will serve as an assignment book in which you should write your daily and long-term assignments. We urge you to carefully review the agenda's contents and we also require that you share your agenda weekly with your parents.
Thomson Middle School will provide you with many opportunities for learning and enjoyment during this year. Our hope for each student is that you will grow academically, socially, and emotionally as a result of your school experiences. During your time at TMS, we expect you to strive for excellence in your studies and to make a positive contribution to our school and community.
Consideration, respect, and safety are the foundations upon which the rules of student conduct are based. You will share the school environment with hundreds of other people. Therefore, the rights of all must be preserved and the safety of no one must be endangered. Your actions must be consistent with the rules and they must not infringe on the rights or safety of others. Rule violations will result in disciplinary action. The faculty and staff join me in offering to you whatever help you will need during the school year.
Lastly, we hope that you will always strive to be the best student and person you can be. I wish you an exciting, enriching and enjoyable school year, and one in which you "Strive For Academic Excellence!"
Alfrenesia Lewis and Mark Halverson
The front office staff is not available to check students out of school after 3:00. This time is vital for completing assignments and gathering materials for homework. Student dismissal begins at 3:15. If you have a concern, please contact Claude Powell or Latasha Johnson.
Students who must leave school before the end of the school day due to a doctor or dentist appointment or other valid reason should use the following procedure for signing out:
- Bring a note explaining the reason for signing out and the time you must leave. The note should be signed by either a parent or guardian with a phone number to call for verification of the note.
- Present the note to the secretary before second period begins---immediately after reading.
- Your parent/guardian will be contacted for verification, and you will be asked to notify those teachers whose classes you'll be missing.
- We cannot take messages instructing students to alter their routine. Parents must come to the school in order to do so.
Picture Identification is required of anyone picking up a student from school.
Visitors to Thomson Middle School are not allowed on the school campus during school hours unless they have checked in at the main office for permission to be on campus. Students who visit with non-students during the school day are in violation of school rules.
Parents are invited to come to school and visit classrooms, but visits must be limited to 10 minutes and they must be cleared through the main office.
In order to protect instructional time, students will not be called out of the classroom for any reason, except extreme emergencies. If you need to get a message or supplies to your student, the front office staff will gladly take the information and handle it for you.
You must drop off and pick up your students behind the school. Front entry will be blocked off during the morning and afternoon. DO NOT drop off students in the teacher parking lot. Students are to ALWAYS cross the highway at the designated crossing area with the crossing guard.
TMS has plans in place in the event of any emergency. Drills are conducted periodically to familiarize students and staff on the correct procedure for fire, tornado, chemical spill, bomb threat, intruder, etc.
Dress & grooming policies
- A student shall not wear clothing displaying insignias or emblems which interrupt with the operation of the learning process or which are considered, violent, unsafe, offensive, illegal or immoral.
- Students are expected to adhere to rules governing body cleanliness, modesty and good grooming.
- No visible body piercing except earlobes.
- Hair style and color shall not be extreme.
- Contacts and glasses shall not be loaned or traded.
- Shades or dark glasses are not allowed to be worn in the building unless prescribed by a physician.
- Brushing, combing or picking hair shall be done in the restrooms onlyâ€¦not in halls or classrooms
- Shoes must be worn. No shoes with thongs or bedroom shoes. NO STILETTO HEELS!
- See-through and mesh shirts must have a t-shirt under them.
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must not be worn higher than the width of a dollar bill from the top of the knee in front and no higher than the width of a dollar bill from the bend in the knee in back. Skirts, shorts, and "skorts" must be fitted at the waist.
- Splits, slits, and holes in apparel must be no higher than the knee. Garments should not be frayed.
- Pants fitting loosely at the waist must be worn with a belt tight enough to keep the pants at the WAIST. All belts must not overlap more than 6 inches. Pants that fit snuggly may be worn without a belt. Suspenders are encouraged to be worn to keep pants up.
- Pants are to be of the appropriate size. Pants are not to drag on the floor nor are they to be rolled or pushed up. Pajama pants or lounge wear may not be worn.
- Large belt buckles or buckles with spinners, or battery operated signs are not allowed.
- Shorts shall be fitted at the waist. No athletic shorts, spandex, cut-offs, bicycle shorts, cut-off sweat pants, short shorts, running shorts, see-through or boxer type shorts may be worn.
- All straps shall be fastened and shoelaces tied.
- Blouses and shirts that expose the midriff are not allowed. If you raise your arms and your skin showsâ€¦.your shirt is too short.
- Blouses and shirts with low necklines or large arm holes shall not be worn. If cleavage is visible, the neckline is too low. No tank tops.
- No undergarments may be exposed with normal wear. If one leans over and underwear is
- exposed, the apparel is inappropriate.
- Shirts, double shirts, jerseys, blouses and long tops shall be buttoned up and tucked in at the waist. Sweaters and sweatshirts are an exception.
- Coats and jackets are to be properly fitted.
- Oversized coats or jackets shall be removed before entering the building. Coats may be worn in the classroom at the discretion of the teacher.
- Bandanas, towels, hand cloths, wristbands, headbands, do rags, and sweatbands are prohibited.
- No caps or hoods worn inside
- School approved uniforms, including cheerleading, must meet the guidelines of this dress code.
- Spiked wristbands, belts and chains are not to be allowed.
- No grills!
- Pants cannot be tucked into socks.
The principal shall have the power to amend this code as he sees fit to allow modification for special classroom or extra-curricular activities. Fashions are constantly changing. Attire that is not specifically addressed in the agenda book will be deemed acceptable or unacceptable by the administration.
Disciplinary action will be taken against repeat offenders.
- First offense: Sent to office, Parent called for change of clothing. If clothing change is unavailable, student reports to ISS or is transported to parent via officer.
- Second offense: Insubordination
- Third offense: Insubordination
If it is a violation that can be fixed without calling home, a strike will be given. After two times, this will be considered insubordination and a referral will be given.
School Supply List - Sixth Grade
- 2 -1 inch binders
- 2- 8.5 X 11 inch college ruled, spiral notebook with pockets
- 1 Brightly colored
- Several packs of notebook paper
- Colored pencils
- Multi-colored pens
- 2- highlighters
- Pens - blue or black
- #2 Pencils
- Hand held pencil sharpener
- Combination locks (Hallway & PE) - NO key lock or laser locks
- For PE: black shorts, white T-shirts, athletic shoes, and a combination lock for PE locker.
- 2 Large box of facial tissues
- 2 Large bottles of hand sanitizer
School Supply List - Seventh Grade
- 3 - 1.5" 3 Ring Binders with see-through plastic front cover
- 2- 5 Subject college ruled notebook with plastic cover
- Mechanical pencils
- Pack of black pens
- Glue Stick
- Paper-College Ruled
- 3 sets 5 tab Dividers
- Colored pencils
- Lock - combination or 2 keys
- Pencil pouch
- 12" Ruler
- Dictionary & Thesaurus set
- Hand sanitizer
- Box of tissues
- For PE Class: black shorts, white T-shirt, athletic shoes, and a combination lock for locker.
NOTE: All Bookbags must be of clear or mesh material!! No rolling bookbags!!