The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Man injured in fight involving golf clubs, bats

A Thomson man was seriously injured after becoming involved in a fight that involved two groups of men off Daggett Road in McDuffie County last Wednesday night.

At least one man has been arrested.

OBryant Stevenson Lowe, of the 1700 block of Daggett Road, was taken to the McDuffie County Law Enforcement Center for investigative hold in connection with the assault on Demarcus Vonteegus Smith, of the 1500 block of Rock House Road, according to a report filed by McDuffie County Sheriff's Department Deputy Marc Coy.

Investigator Larry Adaway is investigating.

Mr. Smith was struck in the head with a golf club in the 1800 block of Daggett Road shortly before 10:30 p.m. Friends drove him to the emergency room of McDuffie Regional Medical Center in Thomson. He later was transferred by ambulance to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital in Augusta. Mr. Smith was believed to have suffered a compressed skull fracture, Deputy Coy's report said.

At the hospital, Mr. Smith reportedly told Thomson Police Officer Matt Massey that the assault occurred at the end of Daggett Road where he and some friends were assisting a motorist he knew fix his car. Minutes later, "several car loads of guys pulled up," Mr. Smith told authorities.

The victim said the men got out of the vehicles with golf clubs and bats and surrounded him and his friends.

Mr. Smith was struck in the face with a golf club, he said. Mr. Smith was knocked to the ground but managed run away.

A number of Mr. Smith's friends told police that when he was struck, "it sounded like a gunshot," which is what caused them to flee, too.

Deputy Coy said he later drove to Mr. Lowe's residence. He determined that some of the men there had been part of one of the groups involved.

Mario Lowe told Deputy Coy that Mr. Smith had come to his home earlier and a verbal fight erupted between Mr. Smith and a man identified only as "Malik." Mario Lowe said he told Mr. Smith he needed to leave .

After leaving, Mario Lowe said Mr. Smith and about three car loads of other men rode back through later with bats and clubs. Mario Lowe said he telephoned his brother, OBryant Lowe, and that he and several of his friends went looking for Mr. Smith's group.

The golf club used in the attack later was recovered by Deputy Marc Thompson.

Web posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .