The inquiring students of the Bulldog Bark wanted to know what clubs where going on at THS this year, and this is what we found out
SKILLS USA is a club for people seeking jobs in construction. The sponsors are Mr. B. Anthony, Mr. B. Arrington and Mr. T. Arrington. When we asked them about there club, these are the responses we got.
- Eligibility: Any student in grades 9-12 who are academically eligible.
- Dues: $20
- Meetings: First Thursdays in the construction lab.
Jackson Riddick- President
Buchanan Cowart- Vice President
Alex Casteel- Secretary
Brandon Carlton- Treasurer
Britt Smallwood- Sgt at arms
- Purpose: Partnership of students, teachers, and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled work.
- Projects: Region, state, and national.
- You should join because it's a lot of fun!!
THE TSA is a club for people who like technology. You will become more technology enhanced. We asked Dr. Cowhoon some questions and this is what we got.
- Eligible: Students enrolled in technology courses.
- Dues: $14
- Meetings: every 2nd Tuesday in room 508
- Officers: pending
- Purpose: To enhance technological literacy and leadership skills.
- Projects: Sale blackout t-shirts for homecoming. Attend Core, Fall leadership and State leadership conference.
- Joining: Ability to demonstrate their skills in a forum beyond school walls.
BETA CLUB is for students who have really good grades. This is a good club to have on your collage application. The sponsor is Ms. Proctor. We asked her some questions and this is what we got:
- Eligible: Any student maintaining overall 90 or better average. At least 10 hours of community service. Attend all meetings.
- Dues: $20
- Meeting: Monthly in media center.
- Officers: Haley Tam- Senior Co-president, Leah Foster junior Co-president, Sara Swan Secretary, Sarah Kellogg project chair/treasure.
- Purpose: To serve school and community while maintaining high academic standers.
- Projects: Support Ferst Foundation for childhood literacy and Relay for life.
- Joining: Great way for students to fellowship and have fun while serving their school and community.
THE FFA organization is a club about the people that want to peruse an occupation in the agricultural field. The sponsors are Mr. DuBose and Mr. Johnson.
- Eligibility- Have to be enrolled or have completed an Agricultural class in middle or high school
- Dues- $10
- Meetings- Whenever announced
- Officers- Josh Rodgers, Allen Thomas, Cullen Wallace, Amber Overton, Jackson Reddick, Ryan Chambers, Meghann Dendler, Terques Reese, and Sterling Mason
- Purpose- Making a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education activities
- Projects- Collecting aluminum pop tops off of cans for charities, clothes drive-collection, and local nursing home visits
- You should join because FFA offers so many opportunities, and really helps students learn about agriculture related careers and activities.
BADD, WHICH STANDS FOR BULLDOGS AGAINST DESTRUCTIVE DECISIONS, is a club that encourages students to make good decisions. The sponsor is Mrs. Brunson. We asked her some questions about the club and these are the responses we got:
- Eligibility: Open to anyone
- Dues: No dues. Purchasing a club t-shirt is the only cost for students
- Meetings: Once a month. First Wednesday of each month in the media center after school
- Officers: We form an executive committee to plan activities
- Purpose: To encourage THS students to make good decisions that will lead to healthy, happy lives.
- Projects: Red Ribbon (Say No to Drugs) Campaign, RAK Christmas Tree (Random Acts of Kindness), Valentine's Day Campaign, PROM/DUI Campaign, "Kick Butts" No Smoking Campaign, HIV Awareness, and STD Awareness.
- You should join because: Students who truly care about the health and safety of their peers will be able to speak out against making destructive decisions and for making good decisions for personal health and safety.
FUTURE EDUCATORS OF AMERICA, is a club for students who plan to go into the teaching profession. The sponsor of the club is Mrs. Hitt. We asked Mrs. Hitt about FEA, and her responses were:
- Eligible: Any student
- Dues: $15
- Meetings: Once a nine weeks usually in room 107, after school, meeting lengths depend on club business and activities
- Club Officers- None, as of now
- Purpose- To foster awareness of and respect for the profession of education and people who work within it
- Projects- Teacher Recognition awards; trip to ASU for teacher education information
FUTURE BUSINESS LEADERS OF AMERICA (FBLA) is a student business association that brings business and education together through innovative leadership and career development programs. The sponsors of the club are Mrs. Sanders, Mrs. Wyatt, and Mrs. Favors. We asked them about FBLA and these were their responses:
- Eligible: Any student at THS.
- Dues: $12
- Meetings: One Thursday per month in the THS Media Center
- Club Officers:
Ronald Lazenby- President
Debra Weir- Senior Vice President
Tiera Duvall- Junior Vice President
Mallory Bland- Secretary
Jasmine Green- Treasurer
James Lloyd- Reporter
Shanteria Lowe- Historian
Jamel Hones- Parliamentarian
- Purpose: To prepare its members for a career in business
- Projects: Provide a computer class for members of the community to receive computer training at no charge, raise money for the March of Dimes organization, join other chapters in the March of Dimes Walk for babies, participate in the "It's Spooky to be Hungry" canned food drive, create Christmas cards for people living in nursing homes, visit children at a local hospital, participate in the Georgia FBLA State Project-Main Street FBLA which provides student exposure to concepts necessary for success as a small business owner and a local community member
- Join FBLA now for a great opportunity to earn a scholarship, meet new people, and enrich your business knowledge
THE HEALTH OCCUPATIONS STUDENTS OF AMERICA (HOSA) is a club whose mission is to promote opportunities for careers in heath care and to improve the quality of health care to all. The sponsors of the club are Ms. Terry and Ms. Dudley. We asked them about the club and these were their responses:
- Eligible: Healthcare Science Students
- Dues: $20
- Meetings: First Wednesday of each month - First meeting to be October 1st
- Club Officers: None as of now but will be elected at the first meeting
- Purpose: To support the Healthcare Science Program, to offer competitive health contests for students, to enrich the knowledge of the student that plans to pursue a medical career.
- Projects: Send cards to patients, place hand washing signs all over the school, provide hats and gloves for children, keep school informed of health prevention
- Join HOSA today for fun, fellowship, and medical knowledge.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes, is a club to get students closer to God and follow Christ always. The sponsors of the club are Mr. Smallwood and Mr. Linton Neal. We asked some questions about the club and this is what we learned:
- Eligibility: All students
- Dues: No dues
- Meetings: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in the library. 7:15 a.m. - Bell
- Officers: None
- Purpose: To follow Christ always
- Projects: N/A
- A student would be interested because: They will learn and grow in Jesus Christ