The McDuffie Mirror


Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads


E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

McDuffie County family homeless after mobile home fire

DEARING, Ga. - A McDuffie County couple and their three children are homeless after fire swept through their mobile during the midst of a severe thunderstorm Wednesday morning.

Although everyone managed to escape unharmed, the family lost practically all of their personal belongings.

The doublewide mobile home, owned by Marcus Boyd, had been home to Bobby and Tiffany Taylor for the past two years.

A storm, packing strong winds, is believed to have caused a large pine tree to fall onto a power pole, knocking down lines and causing a shortage in the electrical panel box inside the home about 6:30 a.m.

Capt. Bobby Reynolds of the McDuffie County Fire/Rescue Services said the preliminary cause of the fire was due to the storm, which carried with it vivid lightening and heavy rain.

A short time after she and her children returned home from taking her husband to work, Mrs. Taylor said she heard "a big boom" sound. "I looked outside and saw that a tree had fallen onto a power pole and caused power lines to fall down. The lights went out."

She later smelled smoke and quickly got some of her personal belongings and loaded up the family vehicle.

"I didn't want my children or myself to be in the house, if it was on fire," Mrs. Taylor said.

A few minutes later, flames appeared around an electrical panel box near her sons' front bedroom.

More than a dozen firefighters battled thick smoke and heavy rain before bring the blaze under control.



Web posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009













© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .