The McDuffie Mirror


Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads


E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Thomson woman, child escape harm as house burns

Sherry Sallywhite is counting her blessings.

She and her 1-year-old son, Eric, had to flee from their home in the 400 block of Fourth Street in Thomson about 11 a.m. Monday after fire broke out in the kitchen and spread quickly to the remainder of the rented dwelling.

"I'm just so thankful to God we were able to get out alive," she said.

Ms. Sallywhite, a clerk at a convenience store, said that earlier, she had gone into the kitchen and placed a pan of grease onto the stove to get hot.

"I then went into the living room to get my telephone, and by the time I came back, the stove was ablaze," Ms. Sallywhite told Morris News Service. "All I could think about then was getting my baby and getting out of that house as quickly as I could."

The Thomson Fire Department battled intense flames and heavy smoke before extinguishing the fire. Thomson Fire Chief Rick Sewell said the fire has been ruled accidental.

The home sustained extensive damage.

Ms. Sallywhite, her boyfriend and their son have no place to call home.

"I guess we're going to have to stay with relatives for the time being," Ms. Sallywhite said.



Web posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009













© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .