The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

18-year-old is charged with filing false report

An 18-year-old Thomson woman, who told local authorities she had been beaten, sexually assaulted and kidnapped several days ago, since has been arrested for falsifying a crime, The McDuffie Mirror has learned.

Investigator Capt. Jamie Bridges of the Thomson Police Department identified the suspect as Tiffany Leigh Rabun, of the 400 block of Bussey Avenue. Ms. Rabun was charged with filing a false report of a crime and false swearing, Capt. Bridges said.

Following her arrest last week, Ms. Rabun was jailed in the McDuffie County Law Enforcement Center. She remained jailed last Friday afternoon, awaiting bail in the amount of $6,050, a jail spokeswoman said.

"We spent several hours working this case -- only to discover that it never happened," Capt. Bridges said. "That's why we filed charges against her."

Ms. Rabun is accused of having reported phony crimes to police on Friday, June 25, according to records obtained by the newspaper.

She claimed the crimes actually occurred about a week earlier on Sunday, June 20.

She told Thomson police officer Don Hilson that someone struck her in the head with a hammer as she was walking near Dixie Drive in Thomson. She claimed she didn't "come to" for nearly five days. When she did, she found herself lying naked in a ditch in neighboring Warren County.

She said a woman named Shirley drove her back home to Thomson.

Ms. Rabun later ended up at the emergency room of McDuffie Regional Medical Center in Thomson, Capt. Bridges said. At that time she told TPD Sgt. Jammie Smith she had been kidnapped and raped.

According to police accounts:

The woman explained that she had gotten into an argument with her mother and went outside to "cool-off." She said she walked down the road towards Pitt Street and as she approached Dixie Drive was hit in the head from behind by someone using a hammer.

"I noticed a small red spot near the left temple, not consistent with being struck with a hammer," Capt. Bridges said.

While questioning Ms. Rabun further about how she knew a hammer was used, if she was struck from behind, she replied that she actually had been hit from the side and that she could see the weapon was a hammer.

Ms. Rabun described her attacker only as a black man. She also claimed that another man was walking a short distance away from where the attack allegedly happened. She said she recognized the area where she awakened in the ditch as being where her ex-boyfriend's mother lived nearby.

"I continued to question her about waking up in a ditch and being knocked out for nearly five days," Capt. Bridges said.

"Rabun then got quiet and stared at the ceiling. A short time later, Rabun advised she was fabricating the incident."

She reportedly stayed with her ex-boyfriend and was reportedly beaten up "several times."

The Warren County Sheriff's Department since has been called into investigate that allegation.

Web posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .