People wanting to get a bang for their buck while benefitting local needy children can do so through Pencils and Partners. McDuffie County Partners For Success is seeking donations so they can provide school supplies for at least 200 low-income and underprivileged students.
"For every dollar you give, all 100 pennies goes to the children in McDuffie County," said Miriam Smith, the director of Partners For Success. "No percentage of the money donated goes to administrative costs."
Right now, 132 students are on the list for school supplies.
All the students are in families under PFS case management, meaning they are learning life skills through PFS programs. Mrs. Smith said there are even more children in need of supplies.
"We probably still have another 100 that have been turned away," she said.
There are three ways to donate through Pencils and Partners:
(1) Sponsor a students. Contact PFS to find the grade and gender of a needy child, then go shopping for all the necessary supplies. School supply lists for all grades are available at Walmart.
(2) Make a monetary donation in any amount. Mrs. Smith estimates it takes $50 to get all supplies needed for one child. But, donations can be made in any amount.
(3) Purchase any school supply item(s) and bring to Partners For Success. Items needed include, but are not limited to, flash drives, book bags, 3-ring binders, pocket folders with prongs, 1-inch binders with pockets, dividers with tabs. Businesses can donate pencils or pens imprinted with their logo.
"Hopefully, if we can get all the supplies donated, then we can use the monetary donations for back-to-school clothes for these students," Mrs. Smith said. "That would be ideal."
McDuffie County Partners For Success, Inc. is a non-profit collaboration of Communities in Schools, Family Connection, Prevent Child Abuse, Adult Literacy Council and McDuffie County Health Coalition.
The mission of PFS is to strengthen the family unit and provide support for healthy, stable families in McDuffie County.
"These families really are working hard in our program. This is not just a handout," Mrs. Smith said.
"We need your support to make sure the children will have the right tools to be successful in school."
For more information, call PFS at 706-595-3112, or visit the office at 1121 White Oak Road, Thomson, (in front of Thomson-McDuffie Middle School).
In addition to the PFS office, donations may be dropped off at the following Thomson locations:
- Hogie Joe's, 128 Railroad St.;
- The McDuffie Mirror, 108 Railroad St.;
- WTHO/WTWA, 788 Cedar Rock Road;
- The McDuffie Progress, 101 Church St.;
- Family Y, 510 Hill St.;
- Thomson branch of the United States Post Office, 223 Jackson St.