The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Man, son are arrested for assault

A man and his son have been taken into custody on outstanding warrants by local authorities stemming from a recent assault on a 56-year-old McDuffie County man, The McDuffie Mirror has learned.

Investigator Al Reeves of the McDuffie County Sheriff's Department said Stevie Brooks and his son, Dillon, 18 -- both of the 1500 block of Oakwood Road, Thomson had criminal warrants served against them about 9 p.m. last Thursday. The younger Mr. Brooks was charged with two counts of aggravated battery -- felonies, while Stevie Brooks was charged with a misdemeanor offense of simple battery.

Following their arrests, they were jailed in the McDuffie County Law Enforcement Center. They since have been released on bail.

The pair is accused of having beaten up Wayne Jones, of the 3100 block of Roy Reeves Road, according to a report filed by Deputy Marc Coy. The crime took place Sunday, July 11 at a residence on Roy Reeves Road.

Deputy Coy said he was informed by staff personnel at McDuffie Regional Medical Center in Thomson that he needed to get in contact with Mr. Jones concerning an assault, which resulted in him receiving head and other bodily injuries.

Mr. Jones explained that he went to the residence where the crime took place to pick up his daughter. The victim said Dillon Brooks began cursing him while he was in his vehicle. After Mr. Jones got out of the vehicle, the situation became "violent," Deputy Coy wrote in his report.

The victim said he was knocked to the ground and struck about his head and face -- the younger Mr. Brooks using his fists to inflict injuries.

Mr. Jones told Deputy Coy that he should have left the residence when the teenager began to curse him, but that he couldn't take a teenager cursing him and no one attempting to stop him.

While Deputy Coy was at Mr. Jones' residence, personnel with the McDuffie County Emergency Medical Services later arrived and took the victim to University Hospital in Augusta. Mr. Jones has been released from the hospital and is recuperating at home.

Web posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .