DEARING, Ga. --- Lightening is believed to have been the culprit for causing a fire at a two-story home on Deerfield Road near the Town of Dearing last Wednesday night.
No one was injured in the 6:52 p.m. fire at the home of Anthony Faircloth on the 3300 block of Deerfield Road in Deerfield subdivision, according to McDuffie County Fire/Rescue Services Assistant Chief Stephen Sewell. Mr. Faircloth is a firefighter with the Grovetown Department of Public Safety in neighboring Columbia County.
The fire broke out underneath the house and made its way through the floor of a rear bedroom.
Two pet dogs, both inside the home at the time, were saved by Mr. Faircloth's wife. Both were taken to an area veterinarian, checked and later released, Assistant Chief Sewell said.
After retrieving the dogs, Mrs. Faircloth escaped the burning dwelling and went to a safe place in front of her residence where she stayed until firefighters arrived to extinguish the fire.
"Lightening ran in on an LP gas tank, causing a pin hole in a gas line to ignite and the floor of the bedroom on fire," Assistant Chief Sewell said. "It also set the bed frame and mattress ablaze."
The majority of the damages were contained to the bedroom, although the entire home was filled with smoke, he said. The home also sustained damages underneath in the crawl space area.
When Mr. Faircloth's wife came home from work, she discovered what was described as thick smoke coming from the bedroom and escaping into other parts of the home, Assistant Chief Sewell said.
Assistant Chief Sewell said a total of 25 firefighters responded to the fire.