The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Man reported missing was staying at motel

A 56-year-old local man who had been reported missing on Tuesday morning was found that night at an Augusta motel, authorities say.

Ronald Warren Edwards, of the 1300 block of Salem Road, Thomson, telephoned a relative to say he was staying at the motel, according to McDuffie County Sheriff's Department Major Ronnie Williamson.

Authorities learned such information about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

"I spoke to him on the telephone and he seemed in good spirits," Sheriff's Investigator Al Reeves said. "We're glad he's been found ok."

Mr. Edwards told Investigator Reeves that he was staying at the West Bank Inn on Washington Road in Augusta. He said he caught a ride on a bus to get there.

Mr. Edwards had been reported missing from his home by a church friend. The last time he had been seen was on Monday, shortly before 9 a.m.

It prompted local authorities to team up with state authorities in a search for the missing man by both ground and air.

For several hours, deputies worked with rangers from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division, troopers with the Georgia State Patrol and Georgia Aviation Authority in an attempt to locate Mr. Edwards.

The search, which lasted several hours on Tuesday, involved combing a 2-mile area around Mr. Edwards' home.

Authorities had planned to resume the search for him using a special trained dog on Wednesday morning.

At the time Mr. Edwards was considered to be missing, authorities were concerned about his health.

Mr. Edwards is legally blind and takes dialysis treatments due to kidney problems, authorities said.

Church friends went to the motel on Tuesday night to get Mr. Edwards.

He was taken to an area hospital to be checked for his medical condition and was expected to be back home soon, Investigator Reeves said.

Web posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .