The McDuffie Mirror

Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads

E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Double overtime ends in defeat for Buccaneers

The Briarwood Academy Buccaneers suffered a 56-55 Region 1-AA loss in double-overtime action to the visiting Piedmont Academy Cougars on Jan. 4 at the Briarwood gym.

"It was a very disappointing loss," said Briarwood Academy head coach Bo Fleming. "We should have won that game."

The loss dropped the Buccaneers' overall record to 5-5 and evened their region mark at 1-1.

Briarwood Academy star players Dalton Reese and Tyler Daniel combined to score 46 points. Reese was the high scorer with 25 points, and Daniel scored 21 points.

"Both of them played a heck of a game for us," coach Fleming said. "I couldn't have asked anything more from either one of them."

Briarwood senior Stephen Gunn hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key to get things started for the Buccaneers in the first quarter.

Ryan Pritchett, a junior, later made it a 5-1 game when he sank a pair of free-throws.

Teammate Colt Phelps later snatched down a big rebound and passed the ball off to Reese, who connected on another 3-point basket. That enabled the Bucs to go up 8-1.

By the end of the first quarter, however, their lead had been cut to 8-4.

In the second quarter, Briarwood's Taylor Coxwell yanked down a rebound and passed the ball off to Daniel, who hit a jumper inside the paint that gave the Bucs a 15-7 lead.

The lead went to 10 points a few seconds later when Daniel connected on another field goal.

At halftime, the Bucs led 17-9.

The second half turned out to be a completely different story -- one that didn't have a good ending for the Buccaneers.

Turnovers and missed scoring opportunities, especially at the free-throw line, were among the biggest reasons for the second-half slump.

By the end of the third quarter, Briarwood led 30-25.

In the fourth quarter, Piedmont wasted no time hitting a pair of field goals and cutting the Bucs' lead to just one point, 30-29 with 5:59 to play in regulation.

Daniel made it 32-29 when he hit a field goal with 1:31 left in the fourth quarter.

A few seconds later, a Piedmont player knotted the score at 31-31.

The momentum suddenly began to swing toward Piedmont's side.

At the end of regulation, the score was tied 35-35.

The game then went into two overtime periods -- each one lasting four minutes.

Piedmont's Bobby Mitchell, who finished the game with 21 points, hit what turned out to the winning 3-point basket.

Web posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011

© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .