The McDuffie Mirror


Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads


E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Fires damage property but cause no injuries

A fire caused by a faulty fireplace chimney resulted in extensive damage to a home at 1313 Karen Lane late March 1, according to the McDuffie County Fire Department.

The fire department was dispatched at 11:37 p.m. and had the fire contained by 3:44 a.m.

"Fire was showing through the roof in the center portion when we arrived," said Assistant Chief Stephen Sewell.

All occupants of the wood-frame residence with vinyl siding were outside, Sewell said, and 17 fire department personnel managed to salvage furniture, clothes and pictures.

A smoke detector alerted owner Garrison Green.

"Smoke detectors save lives," Sewell said. "That's what got him to start looking. He didn't see anything inside, so he walked outside and saw the roof on fire."

Sewell contacted the Red Cross of Augusta, and it was on the scene before the fire department's departure.

"They (residents) will get in a hotel," Sewell said. "That's part of the (Red Cross') services."

Sewell said he spoke with an insurance investigator Friday, and they determined "this one was accidental."

Another fire caused extensive damage to an uninhabited, single-wide mobile home at 5272 Adams Chapel Road in Dearing on March 2, said Sewell. Fourteen fire department personnel responded at 12:17 p.m. and had it contained by 2:36 p.m.

The mobile home, owned by Mary Vest, had no electricity and was used for storage. Sewell said the fire probably started in a burn pile in the yard.

"The burn pattern indicated it started outside," he said.



Web posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011













© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .