The McDuffie Mirror


Top Stories
Subscribe Today!
Quick Hits
    · Home
· Subscribe
· Contact Us
· Archive
· Subscribe
    · News
· Business
· Opinion
· Schools
    · Sports
    · Community
· Obituaries
· Weddings
· Engagements
· Births
· Anniversaries
· Submit Event

· Search Legal Ads


E-mail this story Printer-friendly version

Saturday fires damage home, land

The McDuffie County Fire Department extinguished two fires Saturday.

Fire personnel were dispatched at 11:57 a.m. and arrived in 18 minutes at 3092 Ridge Road, according to a report. Light smoke was emanating from a two-story frame residence.

Fire was found in the wall adjacent to the stove, Assistant Chief Stephen Sewell said.

The tenant's son was attempting to put out the fire with a garden hose, Sewell said.

The cause of the fire, Sewell said, was grease in a pan on the stove.

"He had forgotten about it," Sewell said. "We opened up a couple of walls."

Fire personnel used a positive pressure fan to clear smoke.

The damage was moderate and confined to the kitchen area, Sewell said.

Fire personnel left the scene at 1:30 p.m.

At 2:51 p.m., fire personnel were dispatched to a woods fire covering 31/2 acres on private property at 682 Mooseclub Road.

The owner, David Zimmerman, burned a field off, and the fire got out of control, Sewell said. One brush truck from McDuffie and another from Dearing were dispatched and arrived in nine minutes.

Georgia Forestry Service used a bulldozer to create a break, Sewell said.

Neighbors whose homes backed up to the property were a little concerned, Sewell said, but fire personnel reassured them.

Fire personnel left the scene at 4:45 p.m.



Web posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011













© 2011 The McDuffie Mirror. Contact the .
View our .