Two McDuffie County firefighters were injured Monday, Sept. 5, in a structure fire south of Thomson.
Andrew Johnson suffered burns to his legs. He was rushed to McDuffie Regional Medical Center. The next day, he was treated on an outpatient basis at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta.
Firefighter Jeff Guerrero suffered burns to one cheek and ear but did not request medical treatment.
McDuffie County Fire/Rescue Chief Bruce Tanner said Johnson missed some days of work because of the injuries.
The fire at 2569 Wrens Highway in the Doodle Hill Mobile Home Park was reported at 8:57 p.m.
Tanner said the fire was in a concrete block house owned by Johnny Howard and occupied by Rose and Jessie Heath. Tanner said the fire started in the living room of the house, which has block walls, some wood construction and a shingle roof.
Tanner said the smoke and heat caused extensive damage. He said 18 firefighters arrived to battle the blaze.
McDuffie County firefighters also responded to fire alarms Sunday. Assistant Chief Stephen Sewell said firefighters believe a trailer that was being pulled along Ridge Road set off sparks that ignited six fires. He said the trailer was found abandoned along Highway 80 in Warren County.
"All of the fires seemed to have started on the roadside and then spread to the woods," Sewell said.
No one was injured and no structures were damaged. Three fires burned about 60 acres along Ridge Road near the Warren County line. Three fires charred about five acres near Belle Meade.